Through a partnership between Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA), Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions, and Virginia Interfaith Power & Light, pastors, rabbis, imams, and other clergy in faith communities across the region will be raising up voting as a sacred responsibility of the Beloved Community. Faith communities are invited to participate on or around the weekend of October 2-4, 2020, when Jewish congregations will be marking the ecological holiday of Sukkot, and some Christian churches will be celebrating the Feast of St. Francis, patron saint of animals and the natural world.
Many of our congregations are meeting online right now. Download resources below to engage your community:
- Call to action for online worship & short sample talk for speakers
- Request a speaker
- For Christian communities
- Recursos para las iglesias en español
- For Jewish communities
- For Muslim communities
- For Unitarian Universalist communities
– Resources –
Call to action for online worship & short sample talk for speakers
Even when we’re gathered online, we can take action together, and in community! We’re inviting congregations to do so by setting aside a few minutes during worship or other programming to allow individuals to make sure they’re registered to vote and have a chance to request a vote-by-mail ballot by clicking here: https://ipldmv.org/vote
More details can be found in the five minute sample talk script! Also available en Español [coming soon].
Spread the Word!
Let your neighbors know your congregation is participating by sharing and tagging the Climate in the Pulpits event on Facebook! Use hashtag #ClimatePulpits to share photos and teachings from your congregation’s program.
Request a guest speaker
We can connect your congregation with skilled speakers whose environmental work is rooted in their faith traditions, and with passionate environmental educators who know how to share green skills and enthusiasm with diverse religious groups.
The speakers and teachers in our Speakers Bureau are ready to offer guest sermons, text studies, adult forum presentations, youth group programming, and more *online* including with Spanish-speaking communities. Click here to learn more and request a guest speaker.
Resources for Christian communities
– Climate in the Pulpits: Sermon Starter based on October 4th lectionary
– Revised Common Lectionary for October 4th
– Season of Creation 2020 Celebration Guide
– From Creation Justice Ministries: Ethics of Energy study guide
* Resources for African-American/black churches
– From Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA): “Climate Change and African-American Communities” 1-pager
– From Creation Justice Ministries: African American Climate Initiative
* Resources for Catholic parishes
– Climate in the Pulpits: Homily Help for the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Also available en Español [coming soon].
– Daily Mass Readings for the 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time
– From Catholic Climate Covenant: “The Healing Power of Love in Action: Creation Care in a Time of Pandemic and Partisanship” Feast of St. Francis Resources
– From Marty Haugen/GIA Publications: Hymns for a Mass of Creation (for purchase)
* Resources for children & youth
– From Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA): Light Switch Reminders coloring sheet
– From Catholic Climate Covenant: Friending Planet Earth Curriculum (youth)
– From Green Anglicans: The Story of Creation Sunday School Curriculum (children)
– From New Community Project: Operation Creation! Curriculum (children)
* Recursos para las iglesias en español
– De la Alianza Católica para el Clima: Cuidar la creación de Dios: Recursos para la liturgia, la predicación y la acción
– Del Columban Center: Guía de Estudio Para Personas Y Grupos Pequeños
Resources for Jewish communities
– Climate on the Bimah: Dvar Torah Notes for Shabbat Sukkot and Sukkot II
– From Canfei Nesharim: resources for Sukkot
– Jewish text studies: Toward a Wiser Use of Energy and Genesis and Human Stewardship of the Earth